ABT seeks to align itself with the faith and practice of the historic pilgrim church as expressed in the conservative Anabaptist tradition. We desire to partner with like-minded churches in sending church-planting teams.
ABT's Statement of Faith and Practice
1. We believe in one God, eternally existing as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; Gal. 4:4-6, Eph. 2:6, 13-18; I John 5:1-13.
2. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. Luke 1:35; Matt. 1:20-25.
3. We believe that the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, effects the New Birth, gives guidance in life, empowers for service, and enables perseverance in faith and holiness. John 16:7-11, 13.
4. We believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God, revealing God and His will, both in the Old and New Testaments. Luke 1:70, II Tim. 3:16; II Peter 1:20-21.
5. We believe that in the beginning God created all things. He made man in His own image, with a free will, a moral character, and a spiritual nature. Col. 1:16-17, John 1:1-13, Gen. 1:27.
6. We believe that man, through unbelief and disobedience fell into sin, bringing depravity and death upon the human race; that man as a sinner is self-centered and self-willed, unable to redeem himself. Rom. 3:10-18, 23, 5:12.
7. We believe that there is one Mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus, Who shed His blood and died on Calvary, to redeem us from sin, was resurrected from the dead, ascended to heaven, and is sitting at the right hand of the Father interceding for us. John 3:16; Heb. 9:12-14, 10:12; Col. 1:20-22, I Tim. 2:5.
8. We believe that salvation is by grace through faith in Christ—a free gift bestowed by God on all who believe in Christ, are born again, and turn from their sins to walk in newness of life. Eph. 2:8-9; John 3:3-5; Rom. 6:1-7, 10:9-10.
9. We believe that the church is the body of Christ, and that all those who are born again and walk in obedience to the Word of God, constitute the true church of which Christ is the Head. Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18; I John 1:7; I Tim. 3:15.
10. We believe that God provides the church with the necessary leadership, such as bishops, ministers, evangelists, and deacons, to shepherd the flock, teach the Word, administer the ordinances, and lead the church in the exercise of discipline. Eph. 4:11-16.
11. We believe that Christ commissioned the church to: evangelize the world, make disciples of all men and teach them to follow Him in a Biblical walk of life, and to minister to the needs of all people. Mark 16:15; Matt. 28:19-20; I John 3:17.
12. We believe that those who repent and believe should be baptized with water, giving evidence to being born of the Spirit, cleansing from sin, commitment to Christ, and separation from evil. Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:38, 10:44-48; I Pet. 3:20-21.
13. We believe that the church should observe communion in remembrance of Jesus' broken body and shed blood, in a common union of believers with Christ and one another. I Cor. 10:16-21, 11:23-26.
14. We believe that Christ taught both by example and by commandment; that feet-washing is a symbol of brotherhood, service, and humility, and should be observed literally. John 13:3-17.
15. We believe that the holy kiss should be practiced as a symbol of Christian love among the believers, brother with brother, and sister with sister. Rom. 16:16; I Pet. 5:14.
16. We believe that God has established unique roles of authority for man and woman. Therefore, a man’s head is to be uncovered in praying and prophesying, and the woman’s head is to be veiled signifying her acceptance of God's order. I Cor. 11:1-16.
17. We believe that the anointing with oil, accompanied by the prayer of faith, is honored by God in the restoration of health, in accordance to His will. James 5:14-15.
18. We believe that marriage is intended by God to be the union of one man and one woman for life, and that the believer shall marry only in the Lord. Gen 2:18-25, Heb. 13:4, Mark 10:6-9.
19. We believe that the personal appearance and lifestyle of Christian men and woman should be modest, free from worldly fashion and adornment, maintaining simplicity in all areas of life, living as strangers and pilgrims in this world; seeking a city not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Rom. 12:1-2; James 4:4; I John 2:15-17, I Pet. 2:11-12.
20. We believe that Christians should not take part in any destruction of human life, nor in any acts of retaliation. Instead, they should live a nonresistant lifestyle, demonstrating the love of Christ in their daily walk. Matt. 5:39-45; John 18:36; Rom. 12:19-21.
21. We believe that the church and state are ordained of God as separate entities in His divine plan, and that believers should honor rulers and be subject to their authority and pray for them. Rom. 13:1-7; I Peter 2:13-17.
22. We believe that the unrepentant, fallen brother or sister shall be excommunicated from the body of Christ in the spirit of love, and shall be received back into fellowship upon repentance and amendment of life. I Cor. 5:1-13; II Cor. 6:14.
23. We believe in the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, the blessed hope of believers, and that upon His return He will resurrect the righteous to eternal bliss in heaven, and the unrighteous to eternal damnation in hell. He will sit on the throne of His glory, judging all nations in the last day. I Thess. 4:16-17; Matt. 25:31-46